Pronounced "Maudlin" until the late
1700s, the street was named after St Mary Magdalen leper
hospital and church which were built there in the early
1100s. Previously it had been known as Heth (Hythe)
Named after one of the town's public wells,
Stone Well, first recorded in 1180. The southern end of
the street was demolished in the 1970s to make way for
Named after Sir William Compton, one of the
Royalist officers during the Siege of Colchester in 1648.
The road was built in about 1933.
St John's Street
Although it takes its name from the mediaeval St
John's Abbey this is a relatively recent name. Until the
early 1800s it was called Gutter Street or Gutter Lane
after an open ditch that ran down the middle of the
Takes its name from "heth" the Saxon
word for haven or harbour to which it leads. In 1311 it
was called Newhethe to distinguish it from Old Heath.
Long Wyre Street
The origin of Wyre is uncertain, possibly it is
someone's name, but it could be because it is narrow and
winds into Short Wyre Street. "Wirstrate" is
first recorded in 1277.
St Botolph's Corner
Now part of the approach to the Southway
roundabout at the bottom of St Botolph's Street. It used
to be known as Plough Corner after an inn that stood
there and earlier still as Grub Street from the Norse
word for low-lying.
Given this name in about 1854 after a vineyard
that was supposed to have been nearby. The street had
originally been called Bere Lane, which meant that it led
to the fields, and later as Black Boy Lane after a public
house on the street.
Takes its name from the mediaeval archery
targets, known as butts, that used to be there when every
community was expected to provide trained archers in time
of war. It has also been known as Lyerd Lane, Holmers
Lane and Mill Street.
Named after the military barracks that were
built here between 1794 and 1800 during the Napoleonic
War. Before then the road was part of Magdalen Street.
Named in 1976 after the city of Lincoln. All the
roads on the riverside estate are named after cathedral
cities. Part of the road however, is much older and was
an extension of Land Lane which was so called because it
led to riverside fields known in the Middle Ages as